Request to Work Additional Hours
Please note: This process has been updated to coincide with the implementation of Workday in December 2017.
1. Students that hold positions of Graduate Assistant Teaching (GAT), Graduate Assistant Non-Teaching (GANT), Graduate Assistant Research (GAR), and Graduate Assistant Lecturer (GAL) are normally required to work 20 hours per week (50%).*
2. These positions are not allowed to work beyond 50% efforts without the approval of the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies.
3. International students are not allowed to work beyond whatever percent of effort their assistantship is for the fall and spring semesters, in accordance with immigration rules.
3.1. International students are allowed to work extra hours during the summer or breaks in the semester (such as Spring Break, Thanksgiving week and Winter Break). During this time, international students who hold an assistantship are allowed to work full time during the summer or breaks in the semester provided they are correctly registered and the department giving the assistantship approves the extra hours form.
F-1 On and Off Campus Employment
4. Domestic students are allowed to work no more than 9 additional hours per week beyond the assistantship anytime during the semesters provided they are correctly registered and the department giving the assistantship approves the extra hours form. During break periods and when academics are not in session, the student may work full-time.
5. A completed form must be attached to the Workday payroll action requesting an increase in % effort or “Start Additonal Job” function for a graduate assistant. The College of Engineering, AgriLife and Galveston Campus submit form to Academic Department Request of Graduate Assistant >50% Effort and requires additional information. Please include a screenshot of student’s Workday Summary tab and All Jobs-TAMUS tab (under the Workday overview tab) for all current worker positions. The Grad Partner cannot view this information in WorkDay and is required for verification purpose.
*For additional information regarding graduate assistant title codes, please refer to the Graduate Assistant Position Requirements/Benefits table.
Graduate Employment Coordinator