Call for nominations
Are you an unsung hero? Do you know an unsung hero? We’d love to hear from you!
The Office of Graduate and Professional Studies (OGAPS) and the Graduate and Professional Student Council (GPSC) is seeking current Texas A&M University graduate or professional students with exceptional stories of selfless service in our local community and beyond.
Outside the classroom, countless Aggies answer the call to serve their community. While balancing personal and professional commitments, our Aggies continue to exhibit unselfish leadership and dynamic volunteerism during their academic tenure. Some examples of selfless service include but are not limited to:
- Assisting and/or leading disaster relief efforts
- Creating and establishing a Non-Profit Organization
- Voluntary research and/or service projects
If the above description calls to mind an unsung hero OGAPS would like to share their stories at the 2019 Community of Scholars Dinner and Dialogue: Honoring Selfless Service.
The annual Community of Scholars event gathers the Texas A&M community of graduate and professional students, faculty and staff for an evening of dining and conversation. The event provides a unique occasion to both celebrate our students and provide a quality networking opportunity.
This year, OGAPS hopes to inspire attendees to ask themselves, “How can I be of service?” In addition, we desire to motivate the audience to initiate or continue acts of selfless service.
For this year’s Community of Scholars program, OGAPS will select 11 students to recognize as unsung heroes. Three students will receive a scholarship in the amount of $2,000 and speak at the Community of Scholars event. The remaining eight students will receive a scholarship in the amount of $500 and be recognized during the Community of Scholars event. All scholarship awards will post to student TAMU accounts.
Awardee requirements include the following:
Tier I - $2,000 winners
- Participate in three Development Sessions
- Participate in videography development
- Share an in-depth reflection of their service efforts at the Community of Scholars Dinner and Dialogue on April 9, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Tier II - $500 winners
- Attend the Community of Scholars Dinner and Dialogue event on April 9, 2019 from 5:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Please direct questions or comments to COS Nomination Committee in the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies at 979.845.3631 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nomination deadline: February 17, 2019 by 11:59 p.m. CST.
2019 Community of Scholars – Unsung Hero Application
Who is eligible?
What is an acceptable service timeframe?
- Current or ongoing service initiated/implemented/participated in up to 1 year prior to graduate or professional program enrollment
Who can submit a nomination?
- A student may self-nominate or be nominated by peers, staff, faculty, or other individuals
- All nominations require a letter of support validating the nominee’s selfless service
What are the required components for the Letter of Support?
- Must not exceed 1,000 words
- Explain the platform(s) of the student(s) service
- Outline the student(s) commitment to service and its impact on the community
What happens if the nominee is selected?
- On February 22, 2019, the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies will contact the students selected to move forward