non-resident Tuition Waivers

Texas Education Code, Sec. 54.212. TEACHING OR RESEARCH ASSISTANT. A teaching assistant or research assistant of any institution of higher education and the spouse and children of such a teaching assistant or research assistant are entitled to register in a state institution of higher education by paying the tuition fees and other fees or charges required for Texas residents under Section 54.051 of this code, without regard to the length of time the assistant has resided in Texas, if the assistant is employed at least one-half time in a teaching or research assistant position which relates to the assistant's degree program under rules and regulations established by the employer institution. Transferred and redesignated from Education Code, Section 54.063 by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 359, Sec. 1, eff. January 1, 2012.

Graduate Assistant Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Qualifications

To be eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver tied to employment as a Graduate Assistant (GA), the student must be:

  • employed at 50% effort in an eligible GA position prior to the 12th class day of fall/spring or 4th class day of the summer session in which the student is enrolling,
  • making satisfactory academic progress, and
  • registered full-time in 9 credit hours each fall and spring semester. For summer session registration requirements, see the chart below.*
  • submit the non-resident tuition waiver request form to the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies,

NOTE: All non-resident tuition waiver request forms for GA’s employed in non-academic units and for students enrolled at the Health Science Center must be submitted to OGAPS for processing. 

Spouse and Dependent Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Requests

Spouses and dependents of eligible GA’s also qualify for resident tuition. For spouse/dependent waivers, the eligible student must provide proof of legal marriage or dependency with the non-resident tuition waiver spouse or dependent form

Late Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Requests

Non-resident tuition waiver requests received after the 12th class day in a regular fall/spring term or after the 4th class day in a summer term are considered late. To still be considered for a non-resident tuition waiver after the deadline, the student or employing department must:

  • submit the non-resident tuition waiver request form to the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies,
  • include a copy of the job details screen in Workday verifying employment in an eligible title code, and
  • include a memo from the employing department stating the reason the waiver is being submitted late.

 These documents are required for all late fall, spring and summer non-resident tuition waiver requests.

*Registration Requirements for Summer Employment in GA Positions

 Summer registration fulfillment may be achieved in any of the sessions as noted below.

Registration Fulfillment Options
Summer Session I
Summer Session II
10-Week Only
Summer Session I and II
10-Week, Summer Session I, and Summer Session II
Summer Session I and 10-Week
Summer Session II and 10-Week

The table below defines the minimum number of registered hours required, as determined by the summer enrollment session and the associated GA position title.

Graduate Assistant Title Summer Employment
Minimum Registered
Hours Required
Graduate Assistant Lecturer [GAL] Employed ANY portion of the summer semester 1
Graduate Assistant Teaching [GAT] Employed ONLY Summer Session I or II 3
Graduate Assistant Teaching [GAT] Employed (Summer I AND II) or (10 week session) 6
Graduate Assistant Research [GAR] Employed ANY portion of the summer semester  6
Graduate Assistant Non-Teaching [GANT] Employed ANY portion of the summer semester 6

If you have any more questions, please take a look at our FAQ page.