Departments initiate alternative certification requests.

The student should provide the department with documentation to support alternative certification. If the department deems the documentation sufficient to merit alternative certification, the department will submit, with an authorized departmental signature, the Request Form for Alternative Certification recommending and requesting alternative certification (with supporting documentation attached) to the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies.

The Office of Graduate and Professional Studies will determine on a case-by-case basis whether to grant alternative certification.

Examples of experiences and/or training that may justify alternative certification:

  • Completing a rigorous and comprehensive (includes the 4 areas of Written Composition, Reading, Listening, Oral Skills) English training program or courses at a university and/or institution other than Texas A&M University. Students must provide associated transcripts.
  • An international graduate student holding a master’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution qualifies for verification but not certification. This student must take the ELPE to become certified to teach. Departments submit the Alternative Verification Form to the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies to request alternative verification.
  • Certificates from English as a Second Language Intensive training programs as a basis for verification/certification will not be accepted. These certificates will not represent an alternative to the applicable TOEFC, TOFLI, GREV, GMATV, IELTS, or ELPE requirements as they do not reveal the rigor of the training or the language proficiency of the student.